Chevening is a prestigious fully funded scholarship for Master’s degree in the UK. It covers your tuition fees, monthly stipend, visa, travel costs, arrival, and departure allowance. You’re practically paid to study! Chevening scholarship application is currently ongoing and here are six top tips to help you win it:
- Make sure you are eligible to apply, you must have at least a second class upper and at least two years of work experience.
- Apply for admissions in at least 3 UK universities, however you do not need to have the admission letter before you can submit your application for Chevening scholarship. No IELTS is required for this year’s application.
- You must demonstrate leadership potential in your essay – Describe in details when you brought about change or invented something or solved a problem or did something impactful, it could be individually or working with a team, most preferably in your academic and professional career. Don’t just say you led a team to achieve xx. Quantify it and mention collaborations. Use the STAR method to help you give specific measurable details (Situation, Task, Action, Result). If you have a website that shows proof of your work, accomplishment, or community engagement, this should be included.
- Your Networking essay should demonstrate your networking skills and how you were able to use it to your advantage in your career or personal life. This should emphasize your social skills, ability to communicate effectively with others and how you used the information you received to advance yourself or solve a problem. Don’t just state you attended xx conference, describe the process of how you leveraged networking opportunities and the outcome.
- Have a clear future career plan – Avoid generalizing this section of your essay, give specific details. Have a short term (0-2 years), medium-term (2-5 years) and long term (5-10 years) plan. How will you achieve your future goals upon return to your home country? How will this help improve your sector or community and country? What is your implementation plan and period? What group of population will this benefit? Have a measurable outcome, include how this will be evaluated. An important tip is to align this essay to similar projects DFID is executing in your home country.
- Your volunteering experience should be intertwined with your essays, it shows your passion and commitment to a cause and should emphasize your networking, communication, leadership, and problem-solving skills.
Your essays should be consistent, free of grammatical errors and compelling, let all the parts connect! (You can use Grammarly for error checks).
Important tip: Ensure someone critically reviews your essays and gives you a feedback. If you will like me to review your essays, do contact me for a paid service.
I hope this helps, please share this post with someone who needs it.
All the best and ‘see’ you next week.